The office of the Fire Marshal has the following responsibilities:
- Conducts plan review for site development and new commercial construction.
- Enforcement of the adopted fire and building codes. This involves inspection of all new commercial building construction and the installation of new fire alarm and suppression systems. Inspections of existing commercial buildings and the fire protection systems are conducted to ensure they are maintained in accordance with the Fire Codes and NFPA Standards.
- 2015 International Fire and Building Codes and NFPA Standards referenced by the codes.
- Investigates all fire related incidents in the city. Determines origin and cause of fire. Prosecutes criminal acts involving fire.
- Fire suppression water supply. Maintains records and inspects fire hydrants to ensure the department has adequate water supply to conduct fire suppression.
- Conducts public education for fire safety.
- Produces and maintains pre-incident plans for suppression companies.
- Issues and enforces burn permits.
- Maintains statistical data and records for the above.
Points of contact: